Sunday 6 July 2014

Buffet Dinner at Senki


Felt extremely compelled to write a review of this Japanese buffet restaurant because the current reviews online don't do justice to it. Photos, though limited, are all from my iPhone because this was a super impromptu dinner date! 

So one Sunday, me and Loverboy were walking around town and as usual, looking for a place to have our 'dinch' because we woke up late and didn't have time for lunch when we left house. We wanted to head over to Ikoi/Irodori for Jap sashimi buffet because I was craving for sashimi so badly, but when we called to make reservations for dinner, there were only bar counter seats left. We were so bummed and started frantically googling for forums where we could have a good sashimi buffet without burning a hole in our wallets. We read a few good reviews, but the restaurants were either too far from where we were or too expensive for our liking. 

There was only one restaurant that fulfilled our criteria of being budget friendly and near to town - Senki Jap Restaurant. But there were so many bad reviews about it and Loverboy had such a high standard for food I wasn't ready to be nagged by him should we decide to go there and food turned out to be of bad quality. On the other hand, we couldn't find another Jap restaurant that fulfilled our criteria, so we decided to go ahead with minimal expectations.

It was hidden in a corner nearer to Somerset (to be exact, behind Orchard Gateway), and dang dang dang the food blown us away! 

I have not dined here before, but I remember wondering to myself so many times throughout the dinner why there are so many bad reviews about it. And, I was expecting so much more crowd than the restaurant had the other day. But, no complains from us because it meant we had full attention of the service crew (which was equally attentive). 

So you might ask, how's the food quality compared to Ikoi/Irodori? 

I would tell you, it is better than Ikoi/Irodori, hands down. Maybe the other two are so popular that food quality is compromised, but the sashimi is so much fresher at Senki and the side dishes are so much nicer than Ikoi/Irodori. It's obvious because when I'm at Ikoi/Irodori, I don't even want to eat their sides because it's either chao tah, tasteless, too salty, and the list goes on. But Senki's side dishes are sooooo good we kept ordering it.

And, I don't know if it was our lucky day or what. The chef (below pictured) gave us complimentary Aburi Salmon Sushi and it was so delish! He advised us to eat it while it's still hot, and once I put it into my mouth, it melted instantly and freshness of the salmon permeated my mouth. It was sooo good, I really wished they put it in their buffet menu and I would keep ordering it 1000000 times.




You really have to try it, if you love Ikoi/Irodori, and you will never want to go back to Hotel Miramar again. Haha.

Senki Japanese Restaurant
109 Killiney Road
Tel: 67345565
Mondays - Sundays
(L)11:30am - 2:30pm 
(D)6pm - 10:30pm

Buffet pricing: $39+/pax

No comments:

Post a Comment